Sunday, May 3, 2009

Evil Elf Disguised as a Fairy - photos




Last evening I posted about my experience as the hostage of the evil elf and dragon of my dream, and as of 5 pm today, I finally completed the evil elf's likeness. The above photos are not the best quality, but they show the essentials. (oooh, I just discovered that if you click on a photo, it explodes in a new window!) You'll have to forgive my excitement.  I'm still new to this whole blogging thing. :-)  Anyway, the poor dragon is still only a disembodied head and neck, with a half-done torso and no legs or tail, BUT he has sprouted a forked tongue, three fearsome horns and four sharp fangs since my last post. If I wait another day to work on him, do you think he'll start to grow spikes down his spine?

OK, back to the evil elf. In the dream he first appeared to be an elderly, pot-bellied, stubby-legged fairy, but upon entering the cave he removed his golden wings, revealing his true nature. As this blog and most of my mini items are rated suitable for all ages, I thought it best to create the elf as I first saw him, rather than as he really is. I don't want to be blamed for giving nightmares to any over-protected children of this 21st century who know only about the cute little elves that work at the North Pole and Disney's Tinkerbell.  If they are fortunate, they will eventually be introduced by a grandparent or similar figure to tales of the Old Ones and Wee Folk, both good and evil, who have inhabited our gardens, fields, forests, lakes, rivers and homes worldwide since the beginning of time. 
 
If not, I feel sorry for them. They will never experience the excitement of finding a fairy ring on the lawn in the morning, carefully building little twig and moss shelters under a nearby hedge or bush, including some choice morsels of food for their feast, and the anticipation the next morning of finding signs that the fairies slept or ate there.  In my formative years I spent many hours in my grandmother's kitchen as she cooked or baked, while she told me (as she had my mother when she was a child), not only a variety of fairy tales but stories from the Brothers Grimm, Aesop's fables and stories from Greek and Roman mythology. 
On reflection, there was a lot of violence, blood and gore involved in some of these stories,  but I knew they were 'make-believe', which I took to mean you could either believe them or not. So I chose at the time to believe in fairies, brownies, pixies and helpful elves, and ignore vengeful ghosts, wizards, witches, trolls, Medussa, the Minotaur and any scary monsters. When my daughters were young I told them fairy tales and fables, but admit that I did tone some of them down a bit until they were 4 or 5 and had a firm grasp of what was real and what was imaginary. 

Argh, the witching hour is nearly here, so I'd better get to sleep before that monster under the bed wakes up.

Mini Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. OOOh hes wonderful! I am sure I have seen him near the Towers, or is he from a large family?? Maybe a cousin?
    Noni The Oz GSOLFOT

    ReplyDelete