Saturday, May 2, 2009

Log Cabin Project Delayed by Dragon and Elf

No, I haven't disappeared into the woodwork, but was kidnapped by a juvenile dragon and an elderly elf three days ago. The two of them somehow managed to sneak into a perfectly ordinary dream in which I was hanging out my laundry and the next thing I knew I was being taken to a cave, conveniently located in my neighbours garden. There they forced me to make fimo miniatures of each of them in 1:48 despite the fact I told them I'd never made elves or dragons in my life. I had made a head for each and was just starting on the bodies when the alarm went off. 
All day I kept thinking about the dream, mulling over whether or not I would need an armature for such a small sculpture, in what order to make them, what parts would have to be cured and then have more clay added for a second curing, what to use for eyes, claws, teeth, horns etc...  After supper  I sat down and began work on the dragon's head and neck and surprisingly, it came out looking much like the one in my dream. The next evening I focused on the elf's face and today I have most of the elf sculpted. I have no idea why I feel compelled to make these two characters as I don't generally make fantasy figures nor do I have any idea where I will use them but it has been both challenging and fun. Perhaps this was my mind's way of giving me a break from making mundane things like log cabins and Tudor bathtubs.
Anyway, time to walk the poopies before bed, so I'll stop here. I plan to go to the OMEGA show in Fergus, ON, so I don't think I'll be making dragon feet or building cabins tomorrow, but hope to post Day 2 - The Cabin Raising Bee within 2 or 3 days. Mini Hugs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment